[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Remove destructive consumption from Sequence

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Fri Jul 1 11:19:39 CDT 2016

> On Jul 1, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:
>

> on Fri Jul 01 2016, Matthew Johnson <matthew-AT-anandabits.com> wrote:

>>> AFAIK there is no interesting multipass Sequence that cannot reasonably be
>>> made to support indexing.
>>>
>>> There *is* existing code that exposes multipass data structures without
>>> exposing the ability to compare iteration state for equality.
>>
>> It’s worth noting that indices require comparability, not just
>> equality.  I think comparability might cause more difficulty than
>> equality (but haven’t thought too hard about it).
>
> It does, but I am ever more strongly motivated to drop the comparability
> requirement.

Dropping that would eliminate the questions that are still lingering in my mind about getting rid of `Sequence`.

Are there any important algorithms that rely on the ability to compare indices?

>>> In every case I can think of, index equality could easily have been
>>> exposed, but wasn't.These designs can't be adapted to model
>>> Collection.
>>
>> Why can’t they be adapted to model Collection if equality could have
>> been exposed?  Is it because comparability would be difficult?
>
> Comparabile refines Equatable, so it's at *least* as hard ;-)

Right.  You only mentioned that index equality could have been exposed but didn’t mention comparability.  I was wondering whether the potential additional difficulty is why they couldn’t model Collection.

>>> Those designs are real, but I am unconvinced they are worth supporting
>>> directly with a separate protocol in the standard library; I'm willing
>>> to accept the idea that those data structures will simply be limited to
>>> modeling Iterator.
>>
>> Can you elaborate on what designs / data structures you’re talking
>> about here?
>
> Cocoa Dictionaries and Sets are examples.  The enumeration interface
> doesn't have any facility for copying or comparing enumeration state.

What impact would that have on the bridged value types (which is how we should be using those in Swift).