[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0101: Rename sizeof and related functions to comply with API Guidelines

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 14:37:59 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:

> on Wed Jun 29 2016, Erica Sadun <erica-AT-ericasadun.com> wrote:
>
> >> On Jun 29, 2016, at 3:59 PM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 4:50 PM, David Sweeris <davesweeris at mac.com
> <mailto:davesweeris at mac.com>> wrote:
> >> That’s the “as proposed” usage for getting the size of a value (from
> >> https://gist.github.com/erica/57a64163870486468180b8bab8a6294e
> >
> >> <https://gist.github.com/erica/57a64163870486468180b8bab8a6294e>)
> >> // Types
> >> MemoryLayout<Int>.size // 8
> >> MemoryLayout<Int>.arraySpacing // 8
> >> MemoryLayout<Int>.alignment // 8
> >>
> >> // Value
> >> let x: UInt8 = 5
> >> MemoryLayout(x).dynamicType.size // 1
> >> MemoryLayout("hello").dynamicType.arraySpacing // 24
> >> MemoryLayout(29.2).dynamicType.alignment // 8
> >>

> >> At least, I thought that was the latest version of the proposal. Maybe
> I’ve gotten confused.
> >>
> >> There must be a typo in these examples.
> `MemoryLayout(x.dynamicType).size` perhaps?
> >
> > I have listened. I have updated.
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/erica/57a64163870486468180b8bab8a6294e
> >
> > // Types
> > MemoryLayout<Int>.size // 8
> > MemoryLayout<Int>.arraySpacing // 8
> > MemoryLayout<Int>.alignment // 8
> >
> > // Value
> > let x: UInt8 = 5
> > MemoryLayout.of(x).size // 1
> > MemoryLayout.of(1).size // 8
> > MemoryLayout.of("hello").arraySpacing // 24
> > MemoryLayout.of(29.2).alignment // 8
>
> I am still very skeptical that anyone needs the “Value” version, and as
> long as we're resyntaxing I am inclined to take it away and see how many
> people complain.  You can still always write it yourself.

So long as the issue regarding querying an existential value's dynamic type
is addressed, yes?

I mentioned this in a comment on the gist already, but I'm really not
digging the "array" in `arraySpacing`. We've already moved from top-level
"stride" to "memory layout spacing," gaining plenty of clarity. I'm
skeptical that the "array" adds anything more. Moreover, it muddies the
waters by mentioning a specific type (Array) in a context where you're
querying the memory layout properties of another type.