[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0110: Distinguish between single-tuple and multiple-argument function types

Sean Heber sean at fifthace.com
Thu Jun 30 13:30:06 CDT 2016

> The review of "SE-0110: Distinguish between single-tuple and multiple-argument function types" begins now and runs through July 4. The proposal is available here:
>
> 	https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0110-distingish-single-tuple-arg.md
>
> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1 - I’ve encountered this a number of times and it’s always been confusing. I’m not sure the proposal is clear on what happens if you don’t actually name your parameters, though. I assume $0, $1, $2, etc are created automatically as expected? Am I required to then *use* all unnamed parameters for this to work? Ideally I would not have to and this would work:

let fn2 : (Int, Int) -> Int = { return $1 }

I assume this is the intent - but the proposal might do with some clarification on that point.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I think most languages would probably do it this way?

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Mostly a quick glance.

l8r
Sean