[swift-evolution] Notification.Name

Michael Ilseman milseman at apple.com
Thu Jun 30 11:32:26 CDT 2016

> On Jun 30, 2016, at 9:10 AM, Ben Rimmington <me at benrimmington.com> wrote:
>
> [Cc: Michael Ilseman]
>
>> On 30 Jun 2016, at 03:13, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Not 100% sure this belongs here, but I'll bite.
>>
>> The new `Notification.Name` type is a beautiful application of SE-0033 "Import Objective-C Constants as Swift Types"[1] which removes a lot of boilerplate. However,  I think it puts the resulting constants in the wrong place. They all get piled into `Notification.Name`, resulting in:
>>
>> 	Notification.Name.NSSystemTimeZoneDidChange
>> 	Notification.Name.NSThreadWillExit
>> 	Notification.Name.NSURLCredentialStorageChanged
>> 	Notification.Name.NSUbiquityIdentityDidChange
>> 	Notification.Name.NSUndoManagerCheckpoint
>>
>> I think these would be a lot better off as:
>>
>> 	TimeZone.systemTimeZoneDidChange
>> 	Thread.willExit
>> 	URLCredentialStorage.changed
>> 	FileManager.ubiquityIdentityDidChange
>> 	UndoManager.checkpoint
>>
>> Most of these could probably be inferred by prefix matching, but some, like `TimeZone.systemTimeZoneDidChange` and `FileManager.ubiquityIdentityDidChange`, would probably have to be done manually. There might even be a few which have no natural attachment point, though I can't think of any off the top of my head.
>
> Is this another case where SE-0033 and SE-0044 can work together?
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/19946 <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/19946>>
>
> For example, in <Foundation/NSTimeZone.h> by adding the `swift_name` attribute:
>
> 	FOUNDATION_EXPORT NSNotificationName const NSSystemTimeZoneDidChangeNotification
> 	NS_SWIFT_NAME(TimeZone.systemTimeZoneDidChange);
>
> The constant should hopefully be imported into Swift as:
>
> 	extension TimeZone {
> 	    public static let systemTimeZoneDidChange: NSNotification.Name
> 	}

That is certainly in the spirit of SE-0044, and anything that is “typified” from SE-0033 is valid host for import-as-member. There are a few bugs in that interaction that I’m currently working out (e.g. with opaque pointers), but I think it’s reasonable to allow users of swift_name to choose a host that is different from NSNotification. If your example doesn’t work, please file a JIRA.