[swift-evolution] Extend FloatingPoint with tau!

Joseph Bell joe at iachieved.it
Thu Jun 30 08:12:18 CDT 2016

I would argue the reverse, i.e., removing pi as a property of
FloatingPoint.  What is it there vs. being part of a separate mathematic
constants package?  I don't see Euler's number or phi (golden ratio) in the
proposal.

Joe

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 2:45 AM, David Hart via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> Tau day <http://tauday.com> was yesterday, and reminded me that we forgot
> to provide a `tau` next to `FloatingPoint`’s `pi` property. How about we
> write a proposal to brind this forward-thinking constant to a
> forward-thinking language?
>
> *Proposal: Extend `FloatingPoint` with tau*
>
>   /// The mathematical constant tau = 6.28318...
>   ///
>   /// Extensible floating-point types might provide additional APIs to
> obtain
>   /// this value to caller-specified precision.
>   static var tau: Self { get }
>
> David.

Joseph Bell
http://dev.iachieved.it/iachievedit/