[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0077 v2: Improved operator declarations

Anton Zhilin antonyzhilin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 07:58:58 CDT 2016

Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at ...> writes:

> > There is a high chance that 'higherThan'/'lowerThan' names will be
> > chosen.
>
> What is giving you this idea?  Did I miss some part of the
conversation?  I don't recall any indication of what
> the final keywords will be.

Yesterday Dave Abrahams noted that he was the one who insisted on
'strongerThan'/'weakerThan' and that now he prefers
'higherThan'/'lowerThan'.

> > Before the first review, consensus seemed to be
> > on this:
> >
> > precedence Multiplicative {
> >    above Additive
> >    below Exponentiative
> > }
> >
> > And now:
> >
> > precedencegroup MultiplicativePrecedence {
> >    higherThan: AdditivePrecedence
> >    lowerThan: ExponentiativePrecedence
> > }
> >

> I'm really not sure why you think there is any kind of consensus on
this.  I must have missed something.

At least Xiaodi Wu and Brandon Knope seemed to agree with the first
version. I agree that that alone can't be considered 'consensus'.
Anyway, the point here is that we ended up with a syntax that is bulkier
than it could be.