[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0077 v2: Improved operator declarations

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Wed Jun 29 21:21:27 CDT 2016

> What is your evaluation of the proposal?
+1 in general.  However, I really don’t like the names `strongerThan` and `weakerThan`.  As I mentioned in the discussion, we usually speak of “higher” and “lower” precedence.  IMO this implies that the appropriate names are “higherThan” and “lowerThan”, or if we prefer more concise single words, “above” and “below” (the latter is my personal preference).

> Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
Yes.  Precedence values are a pragmatic but inelegant decision.  I will be glad to see them go.

> Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
Yes, very much.
> If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
This proposal will provide Swift with the most sophisticated operator mechanism of any language I am familiar with.  I do not know of anything quite like it.
> How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
In depth study and participation in both discussions as well as the prior review.