[swift-evolution] [Discussion] A Problem With SE-0025?

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Wed Jun 29 18:07:24 CDT 2016

> On 29 Jun 2016, at 22:15, Jordan Rose via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> There actually is an answer to this, which is that the core team expects 'private' to be the common keyword, and therefore it’s better if you can use it at the top level and ignore ‘fileprivate’ altogether in most programs.

This makes no sense to me for two reasons:

1) As I previously said, I don't expect `private` to be the common keyword if people keep writing types as a main declaration and a set of extensions. With that style, we'll be using `fileprivate` heavily for properties in the main declaration.

2) If private means only visible to its lexical scope, I would have expected private top level declarations to be visible to the global scope, which is equivalent to `internal` for me, no `fileprivate`.

I'm getting more and more confused about SE-0025.