[swift-evolution] [Discussion] A Problem With SE-0025?

michael.peternell at gmx.at michael.peternell at gmx.at
Wed Jun 29 17:33:14 CDT 2016

> Am 30.06.2016 um 00:17 schrieb Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org>:
>
> Here is the problem:
>
> ```
> private struct Foo {
>   /* private */ struct Bar {
>     // it doesn't matter what you write in here, you'll never see it in `Foo`
>   }
> }
> ```

So this is not a practical design for this feature then. Following the ideas I presented a few hours earlier this should lead to:

private struct Foo {
    struct Bar {
        var strawberryBar: [String]
    }
    // Scope(Bar) = Scope(Foo), because the scope of Bar is unspecified
    // Scope(Bar.strawBerryBar) = Scope(Bar) = Scope(Foo), for the same reason
    // Foo is visible here => Bar.strawberryBar is visible too

    func hello() {
        let s = Bar(strawberryBar: ["yummi"]
        print("mjam: \(s.strawberryBar)")
    }
    // everything compiles...
}

Making Bar implicitly private doesn't make sense at all. Bar should have the same scope as Foo. `private` on Bar has a completely different meaning than `private` on Foo so this is not the same access level. The implicit access level of Bar is unutterable here.

Anyways... I'm out. I think there *is* a possible design that works. As long as no one provides another (possibly better) solution or argues with my why my design can not work I see no point (for me) in continuing this discussion.

-Michael