[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0107: UnsafeRawPointer API

Robert Widmann rwidmann at apple.com
Wed Jun 29 12:50:53 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1 This is an excellent change to make a fragile and tricky part of the language more explicit and correct by design.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Raw memory access in languages with strong static type systems has typically come with some kind of marshalling framework or there is a virtual machine in place to ensure some measure of consistency with foreign pointers.  Because we can make no such guarantees, this proposal provides an excellent middle ground:  A new type to encapsulate and mark old semantics plus new typed means of access if desired.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Read the proposal a few times.