[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0107: UnsafeRawPointer API

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Wed Jun 29 09:47:24 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1.  This proposal looks really great to me.  I think it will add a lot of clarity to code that needs to work with unsafe pointers.  This is really important.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Very much.  We should strive for clarity and prevent as much accidental misuse of unsafe constructs as possible while still enabling code that needs to work at low levels.  This proposal does a great job of this.

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

This proposal introduces important distinctions in the type system that I haven’t seen elsewhere.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

In depth study of the proposal and participation in the discussion.