[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0109: Remove the Boolean protocol

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Wed Jun 29 09:17:50 CDT 2016

> What is your evaluation of the proposal?
+1.  I liked the idea of this protocol when Swift was first announced but it has become clear that it isn't a good fit for the language.

> Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
Yes.

> Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
Very much so.

> If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
I have not used other languages with a protocol like this but I have used other languages with various kinds of "truthiness".  This turns out to be a feature that is convenient most of the time but subtly problematic in ways that are confusing and troublesome.  I was hopeful that Swift's more structured approach using a protocol might work out better but it didn't.

> How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
A quick read.