[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Terms of Art Swiftification

David Rönnqvist david.ronnqvist at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 02:11:58 CDT 2016

Is this (below) the list you were referring to? (copied from: https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160613/021301.html )

- David

——————————————————————————————

`map`, `filter`, and `reduce` are *the* higher-order functions. Almost anything with any kind of block/lambda/closure feature supports them (I'm giving the side-eye to Foundation here), and all three names are backed by *very* strong conventions:

* `map` is by far the strongest. It is universally supported among languages with higher-order collection operations, and is almost always called `map`. In Wikipedia's list of 32 languages with a `map` <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_(higher-order_function)#Language_comparison <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_(higher-order_function)#Language_comparison>>, we find (grouping together similar names like `map` and `maplist`, and double-counting languages with several aliases):

	Map: 19
	Collect: 3
	Apply: 3
	Special syntax: 2
	Select: 1 (C#, which uses it in the SQL-inspired LINQ)
	Transform: 1 (C++, which uses a bizarre signature involving an out parameter)
	ForEach: 1 (XPath)

* `filter` is supported nearly as widely as `map`, and the name `filter` is used nearly as consistently as `map`. Wikipedia lists 27 languages supporting a `filter`-style function, and `filter` is by far the most common choice, arguably favored even more consistently than `map` <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_(higher-order_function) <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_(higher-order_function)>>:

	Filter: 17
	Select: 4
	Special syntax: 3
	FilteredArrayUsingPredicate: 1 (Foundation, doesn't actually take a closure)
	Where: 1 (C#, in LINQ)
	CopyIf: 1 (C++, bizarre signature)
	FindAll: 1
	Grep: 1
	RemoveIfNot: 1

* `reduce` is extremely popular among functional languages because it's a primitive list-handling operation, although it's a little less common among mainstream languages than the other two. It *does* actually have an alternate name, `fold`, which is nearly as common as `reduce`. However, languages using `fold` are usually those which support both leftward- and rightward-reducing versions of the operation, whereas languages using `reduce` usually don't. Swift falls into the second camp. From Wikipedia's 39-language list <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fold_(higher-order_function) <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fold_(higher-order_function)>>:

	Reduce: 20	(with both left and right: 4)
	Fold: 18	(with both left and right: 12)
	Inject: 3
	Special syntax: 3
	Aggregate: 1 (C#, in LINQ)