[swift-evolution] [Draft] UnsafeRawPointer API

L. Mihalkovic laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 15:52:57 CDT 2016

Regards
(From mobile)

> On Jun 27, 2016, at 8:39 AM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:
>

> on Fri Jun 24 2016, Andrew Trick <atrick-AT-apple.com> wrote:

>>> I’ll try porting stdlib to the “UnsafeRawPointer.unsafeCast(to:
>>> T.Type)” syntax and see how bad it is.
>>
>> I don't think there's a clear winner here. Let me enumerate some
>> options.
>>
>> Option (1) UnsafePointer<T>(cast: UnsafeRawPointer)
>
> The problem with this one is that T can be deduced based on type
> context.  I think we ought to move away from that for operations like
> this one.
>
>> Option (2) UnsafePointer<T>(_: UnsafeRawPointer, to: T.self)
>
> I think you mean T.Type, not T.self, because this looks like a declaration.
>
> To evaluate, you have to look at the use-site:
>
>    let p = UnsafePointer(r, to: Int.self)
>
> I don't find “to” to be descriptive enough.  Maybe

toType

>    let p = UnsafePointer(r, pointee: Int.self)

I find pointee a total aberation :)

> is better.  But I hate that the language doesn't give us a way to say
> “don't deduce generic parameters here.”  This is the only syntax that
> feels right, IMO:
>
>    let p = UnsafePointer<Int>(r)
>
>> Option (3) UnsafeRawPointer.unsafeCast<T>(to: T.Type) ->
>> UnsafePointer<T>
>
>    r.unsafeCast(to: Int.self)
>
> I don't see adding “unsafe” to the name of the operation as adding
> anything.  It isn't any more unsafe than other UnsafeRawPointer
> operations.

It is unsafe in the sense that there are no guarantees that it is a sensible thing to do. I guess that means it is more 'noguaranteeexplicitorimpliedapplied' in the sense that it will like mechanically work, even if it produce an aberation as a result

> Also, it reads like we're casting the raw pointer to an
> Int, rather than to an UnsafePointer<Int>.

Really good one... But then instead of 'to' or 'pointee', something along the lines of 'wrappedType', which lookes a little less balerina-ish than pointee.....