[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Remove destructive consumption from Sequence

Anton Zhilin antonyzhilin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 15:14:28 CDT 2016

Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at ...> writes:

> I should be clear up-front about the main problem I'm trying to solve:
>
> Today, people see a beautiful, simple protocol (Sequence) to which
many
> things conform. They don't recognize that there's a semantic
restriction
> (assume you can make only a single-pass!) on it, so they write
libraries
> of functions that may make multiple passes over Sequences.  They test
> their libraries with the most commonly-available Sequences, e.g.
Arrays
> and Ranges, which happen to be multi-pass.  Their tests pass!  But
their
> constraints are wrong, their whole model of how to write generic code
> over sequences is wrong, and some of their code is wrong.

This is a mistake that I see more often than I want to: designers of
development tools underestimate abilities of developers, and end up
restricting many of them.

My point is that we should impose minimal requirements on custom data
types. Quoting yourself:

> In this case, protocols used to interface with the language
> at the lowest levels may be purely about syntax.

So there should be a protocol for building into for-in loops that
requires only that the sequence should be iterable once. Currently, we
have Sequence for that. If we remove destructive consumption from
Sequence, then there should be a super-protocol SinglePassSequence or
Forinable (excuse the pun).

But even if we do this, I still don't understand the intentions. If a
Sequence is multi-pass, then we can satisfy requirements of Collection,
as already noted in the discussion. Why should we keep Sequence at all,
then? Then let's remove it and rename SinglePassSequence to Sequence???