[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Remove destructive consumption from Sequence

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Sun Jun 26 22:56:29 CDT 2016

Can’t a Sequence be potentially infinite, whereas a collection has a defined count/endIndex?  Other than that, I agree with your statement.

Here is what I see as the appropriate structure:

Iterator: Single destructive pass, potentially infinite, (should be for-in able)
Sequence: Guaranteed non-destructive multi-pass (vends Iterators), potentially infinite, (should be subscript-able, gain most of collection, but lose anything that relies on it ending)
Collection: Multi-pass, guaranteed finite, (no changes from current form, except extra inits from Iterator/Sequence with end conditions)

Right now we are allowed to have an infinite sequence, but calling dropLast or non-lazy map will cause an infinite loop.  These cases could be made much safer by considering the potentially infinite and finite cases separately...

Thanks,
Jon