[swift-evolution] Prohibit invisible characters in identifier names

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Sat Jun 25 00:12:31 CDT 2016

> On Jun 24, 2016, at 23:13, Charlie Monroe via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> BTW how far along with programming do you think you'd get without the knowledge of English? All libraries, SDKs use English identifiers. The documentation is in English. For one to lear programming without actually knowing any English would require the language to have localizable identifiers. Can you imagine those? Given how much time is put here to standardize the naming of a few methods in the standard library, how would it look in other languages?

Speaking of which, hypothetically, if we wanted to support translations of Swift itself (and the standard library), would it be better to have the compiler figure out how to make object files work across languages, or would it be better for the on-disk file to always be in the "canonical" language and have the IDE do the translation?

I'm *not* proposing we do this... Just thinking about what would need to be done and how hard it would be.

- Dave Sweeris