[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0104: Protocol-oriented integers

Max Moiseev moiseev at apple.com
Fri Jun 24 16:45:42 CDT 2016

> However, division by 0 isn't an overflow: it's an undefined operation. I find it somewhat surprising that dividedWithOverflow/remainderWithOverflow allow attempting this operation.
I tried to say that in my previous email. I agree that division by zero is NOT the overflow and should probably be handled differently if only for a better error message.

> To me, the intuitive semantics of the WithOverflow methods are "perform the operation, and if the result doesn't fit in the given type, return a truncated result and an overflow flag". This is not what happens when dividing by 0, because the result simply doesn't exist.
>
> I think I would prefer if rhs != 0 was documented as an explicit precondition of the division and remainder operations, and dividedWithOverflow/remainderWithOverflow trapped because of precondition failure.
That’s exactly how it is implemented in the prototype now.

> If it is desirable that the WithOverflow methods never trap, then I think it would be better to add a `divisionByZero` case to the ArithmeticOverflow enum and return that instead of the generic `overflow`.
Nice idea, but I don’t think it is really required that WithOverflow methods should never fail. The main idea behind these methods is to allow for 2 versions of arithmetic operations: one that traps on overflow and an unsafe one, that simply discards the overflow flag returning the partial result. Both of these however should, in my opinion, trap in a truly exceptional case of division by 0.

Thanks for your comments, Nicola!

Max