[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0095: Replace `protocol<P1, P2>` syntax with `P1 & P2`

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 11:30:35 CDT 2016

> On Jun 24, 2016, at 9:04 AM, Jordan Rose via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 23, 2016, at 22:20, L. Mihalkovic <laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com <mailto:laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> This is another way to generalize P&Q compositions that opens another way to specify WHERE
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/lmihalkovic/68c321ea7ffe27e553e37b794309b051 <https://gist.github.com/lmihalkovic/68c321ea7ffe27e553e37b794309b051>
> Thanks for bringing this up. I know one reason we’ve avoided syntax like this in the past is the potential for static subscripts, but of course that’s just one of many future concerns.

I would prefer to simply expand `<...>` to refer to type arguments in general, rather than simply generic arguments, and keep the `Any` syntax. The argument made by a few people in the previous thread that `<...>` is supposedly associated primarily with generics is not compelling to me; it's currently used for protocol composition already, and there are generic features (constrained extensions) that don't use it.

(Consider this my weak -0.5 review against a proposal I helped to author.)

Austin