[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0102: Remove @noreturn attribute and introduce an empty NoReturn type

Félix Cloutier felixcca at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 23 23:01:40 CDT 2016

I'd like to point out that while NoReturn does indicate that the function can't return, this works because a function that can't return may well declare any return type that it likes, not necessarily just NoReturn.

It's confusing to see `@noreturn func foo() -> Int`, but it's not much better to have a `func foo() -> Int` that doesn't return either.

I don't think that `func foo() throws -> NoReturn` is much clearer either. Does foo always throw, does foo call exit, or does foo enter an endless loop?

It seems to me that we're only slightly moving the ambiguity, so I see no compelling reason to implement this proposal. That'll be a -1 here.

Félix