[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0105: Removing Where Clauses from For-In Loops

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Thu Jun 23 17:42:29 CDT 2016

> On 23 Jun 2016, at 05:12, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I'm against it. While I sympathise with some of the reasons behind it, I feel there are better solutions than removing this feature, and that at the very least doing so now would be premature as we have yet to see how removing where from conditionals will impact people's grasp of it on for loops. (currently confusion stems from the ambiguity compared to while where).
> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

I don't believe so; I think that the justification for removing the feature needs to be stronger than it is, and that other solutions may have better merit.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

I feel not; personally I find where more Swift-y than using .filter() or if/guard continue, but this appears to be highly subjective.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Participated quite a bit in the discussion.