[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Simpler interpretation of a reference to a generic type with no arguments

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Thu Jun 23 15:33:48 CDT 2016

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 1:30 PM, Slava Pestov <spestov at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 23, 2016, at 1:27 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com <mailto:xiaodi.wu at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> When you mention the difficulty of an alternative, is that to say that it's not feasible for the GenericBox in the last example to be resolved as GenericBox<T>? From an end-user point of view, that seems to be the most sensible behavior.
>
> With my proposed change, GenericBox would be resolved as GenericBox<T> in the last example. Right now it fails to type check.

This should make it clearer:

struct GenericBox<Contents> {
  let contents: Contents

  func transform<Result>(f: (Contents) -> Result) -> GenericBox<Result> {
    // If you change this to just ‘GenericBox(contents: …)’, it does not type check
    return GenericBox<Result>(contents: f(contents))

func transform<Contents, Result>(box: GenericBox<Contents>,
                  f: (Contents) -> Result) -> GenericBox<Result> {
  // But this is totally fine!
  return GenericBox(contents: f(box.contents))
}

I suspect most people do not expect the first case to fail, and it is not immediately obvious why it fails when the second example type checks.