[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Retiring `where` from for-in loops

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 09:01:46 CDT 2016

On 23.06.2016 0:21, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution wrote:

>> On Jun 14, 2016, at 8:16 PM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution
>> <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> As you will see from earlier messages, the confused user is both quite
>> real and *is* on this list. Nor, mind you, are pedagogical concerns to be
>> trivialized; they are serious concerns for the design of the language. On
>> what grounds do you assert that something is "not confusing at all" when
>> there has been testimony saying "it was confusing to me"?
>>
>> Some of us on this list interact regularly with novice coders. I draw
>> upon these experiences here. Do you have some special insight you'd like
>> to share in that regard?
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 20:57 Jon Akhtar <jona at herbalife.com
>> <mailto:jona at herbalife.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     How about the goal of it being a delightful language to program in. I
>>     think that is getting lost in proposals like these. Optimizing for
>>     some mythical new user, who really isn’t present on this list to give
>>     an opinion seems like a false argument to make, and your technical
>>     sophistication makes you a less qualified than most to say what is
>>     and what isn’t confusing to new users because you haven’t been one in
>>     a long time.
>>
>>     -1 Leve it in. It is perfectly simple as is. Not confusing at all.
>>     There are far more confusing aspects to the language than this.
>>
>>     Cheers
>
> Yet another case from a few minutes ago:

Sorry.. but.. And what? Suggest <rullie> to write simple SQL query, will
he/she be confused by 'WHERE' there? If <rullie> didn't know *for sure*
what does 'where' means, why he/she didn't check docs or just checked in
playground/IBM Swift Sandbox?

You found one more user confused by 'where'. I can find N users that were
not confused by it even first time he/she saw it in code. And can find M
users confused by any other construction/element of Swift. I just don't
think such 'cases' could be treated as information that proves anything.