[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0104: Protocol-oriented integers

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Thu Jun 23 00:42:00 CDT 2016

In addition to the technical review, I would like to point out that the definition of Arithmetic appears to be missing some underscores in add/adding/subtract/subtracting

> 	https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0104-improved-integers.md
>
> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I’m so glad this work is being done!

For Integer, does the presence of signBit indicate an expectation that signed Integers will have a two's complement representation?

For FixedWidthInteger#dividedWithOverflow/remainderWithOverflow, under what situations would you have an overflow? I could only come up with something like Int.min.dividedWithOverflow(-1).

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes, oh yes.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

It looks like a significant improvement.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I combed the proposal for questions, although most were answered by the time I hit the end.

-DW