[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0105: Removing Where Clauses from For-In Loops

Jose Cheyo Jimenez cheyo at masters3d.com
Thu Jun 23 00:40:14 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?
-1. It removes a feature that I love about Swift.
When `for;;;` was removed, I thought to my self , we have `where` to help on tricky situations.
Removing `where` would make working with for loops more terse.
I do not like using guards in my for loops; I would rather use the old for;; than to use guards.
Guards are just not the way I think about loops in general. (Plus I think they are ugly)

It makes sense why SE-0099 removed `where`. We got a whole lot more functionality by giving up `where`.
This proposal SE-0105 is taking away functionality by forcing guards continues and breaks.
There is not additional functionality being suggested other than forcing one way of doing things.

I don’t think renaming where to `if` helps any. I don’t like the idea even though I love the way python uses it.
Using `if` instead of `where` will overload yet another pattern on top of `if`. (if case, if let, if var, if if if)

I want more features to be added to 'for in whee’ loops, not them being taken way.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
nope.
> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
don’t think so.
> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
python.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
I followed the proposal and discussions.