[swift-evolution] Add an implicit return nil if function reaches end before return explicitly called

Charlie Monroe charlie at charliemonroe.net
Wed Jun 22 23:34:20 CDT 2016

This kind of sounds like the proposal to have implicit return in guard statements.

I agree with John that this kind of feels incosistent and obscure.

An alternative that could be used everywhere though may look like this:

func myFunc() -> String {
	autoreturn {
		return "Hello"
	}

	if Date.today.isSunday {
		return "Sunday"

The `autoreturn` would act as `defer` on paths that do not have a return statement, would be applicable in any function (i.e. any return type allowed).

I can see this being useful if you need to return default value that needs to have some further initialization and the method is quite long.