[swift-evolution] Partial list of open Swift 3 design topics
clattner at apple.com
Wed Jun 22 21:45:53 CDT 2016
On Jun 22, 2016, at 6:16 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
> - Remove Boolean protocol.
> What's the thinking behind this particular item?
“Boolean” isn’t pulling its weight:
- It only abstracts over Bool and ObjCBool.
- It only enables a few operations on ObjCBool, which are not very important.
- ObjCBool is a bridging problem, and we don’t handle bridging by introducing common protocols (e.g. in the case of String vs NSString, we don’t introduce a common “Stringable” protocol.
Further, it complicates the model:
- People are confused by it and the similar but very different Bool type.
- Bool is a simple enough concept to not need a family of protocols.
More information about the swift-evolution