[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Generic and `throw`ing subscripts

plx plxswift at icloud.com
Wed Jun 22 21:41:48 CDT 2016

You’re right on the specifics, of course.

To be clear I am more concerned about accidental shadowing with such subscripts; picture starting initial development with only the generic subscript from the proposal, writing some code that uses it…and then at some later point in time importing a module that defines the `RawRepresentable` variant, which would subtly shift how your code got interpreted.

This isn’t anything that couldn’t happen today with plain-old functions, of course — and it can be worked around in various ways, if you know it happens — but given the IMHO much higher likelihood of "name collisions” (you’re correct you can label the subscript arguments, but I doubt most subscripts will opt to do so)…it seems far likelier we’ll see resolution-modifying collisions under a proposal like this, should it be introduced.

But I could be very wrong, and in any case this proposal should probably wait until at least August, as per suggestion.