[swift-evolution] Partial list of open Swift 3 design topics
clattner at apple.com
Wed Jun 22 20:07:56 CDT 2016
Here is a partial list of the open topics that the core team would like to get resolved in Swift 3. The list is partial both because I’m way behind on swift-evolution traffic, but also because new things may come up. There are also a number of accepted proposals that are not yet implemented. Some topics have proposals done, and therefore have an SE number, but the review discussion hasn’t finalized. Some of these topics have an “owner” that is driving or planning to start a discussion on them them, which I’ve listed in square brackets.
If you’d like to discuss these topics in particular, please start a new thread specific to them, or contribute to an already-existing thread discussing it. Several of these don’t have an owner yet, so if you’d like to pick them up and run with them, that would be great. Thanks!
- SE-0091: Improving operator requirements in protocols [Core team discussed this, will email about it shortly]
- SE-0077: Improve operator declaration syntax [Core team discussed this, Joe Groff will follow up on this soon]
- SE-0095: Replace protocol<P1,P2> syntax with P1 & P2 syntax
- SE-0102: Remove @noreturn attribute and introduce an empty NoReturn type
- SE-0103: Invert @noescape
- Remove T -> T? implicit promotion for operands to operators
- Removing argument labels from the type system (so they are declaration-only constructs)
- Some reshuffling with requiring @objc/@nonobjc for things that shouldn’t/can’t be expressed via the Objective-C runtime
- Eliminating inference of associated type witnesses (as is mentioned in the generics manifesto)
- Should public classes be non-publicly-subclassable by default? [John McCall]
- Revising access modifiers on extensions [Adrian Zubarev]
- SE-0101: Rename sizeof and related functions to comply with API Guidelines
- Ongoing API naming adjustments for stdlib:
- Closure arguments [Dave Abrahams]
- Others are being discussed on swift-evolution.
- Remove Boolean protocol.
- SE-0104: Revise Integer protocols to match FP ones. [Max Moiseev]
SDK / Cocoa / ObjC interop:
- [SE-0086] Finalize NS removal plan. [Tony Parker]
- Importing “id” as Any [Joe Groff]
- Revise NSError/Error model for better interoperability and usability. [Doug Gregor]
- <rdar://15821981> Bridge NSRange to “Range<Int>?”
More information about the swift-evolution