[swift-evolution] Stdlib closure argument labels and parameter names

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Wed Jun 22 18:50:15 CDT 2016

on Wed Jun 22 2016, Xiaodi Wu <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> I'll duly oblige with some pushback on `suchThat`. I get that you're trying
> to clarify whether filter retains or gets rid of elements that match the
> predicate, but I don't think "filter such that" expresses this idea at all.
>
> Comparing to "filter where," "filter such that" is equally susceptible to
> misinterpretation that you are filtering to remove elements that are
> matched. For example: "find me some apples, filtering such that are
> bruised."

Hahaha, that's a very different interpretation of “such” that I hadn't
considered!  OK, suppose it was “soEach:” ?

    let primes = xs.filter(soEach: isPrime)

> I'd suggest that if you want to be perfectly clear, you'd need something
> like `filter(keepingWhere:)`.

    let primes = xs.filter(keepingWhere: isPrime)

A slight problem is that filter is nonmutating, so all elements are
“kept.”  But maybe that's just Dave being overly concerned with unlikely
misinterpretations at the cost of “naturalness.”

Further thoughts?

Dave