[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Remove destructive consumption from Sequence

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Wed Jun 22 15:57:07 CDT 2016

on Wed Jun 22 2016, David Waite <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Today, a Sequence differs from a Collection in that:
>
> - A sequence can be infinitely or indefinitely sized, or could require
> an O(n) operation to count the values in the sequence.

The latter being no different from Collection.

> A collection has a finite number of elements, and the fixed size is
> exposed as an O(1) or O(n) operation via ‘count’

I don't believe we've actually nailed down that Collection is finite.

Oh, gee, Nate's documentation edits do
that. (https://github.com/apple/swift/commit/6e274913)
Nate, did we discuss this explicitly or did it slip in unnoticed?

The one crucial distinction in Collection is that you can make multiple
passes over the same elements.

> - A collection is indexable, with those indices being usable for
> various operations including forming subsets, comparisons, and manual
> iteration
>
> - A sequence may or may not be destructive, where a destructive
> sequence consumes elements during traversal, making them unavailable
> on subsequent traversals. Collection operations are required to be
> non-destructive
>
> I would like to Pitch removing this third differentiation, the option
> for destructive sequences.

I have been strongly considering this direction myself, and it's
something we need to decide about for Swift 3.

> My main motivation for proposing this is the potential for developer
> confusion. As stated during one of the previous threads on the naming
> of map, flatMap, filter, etc. methods on Sequence, Sequence has a
> naming requirement not typical of the rest of the Swift standard
> library in that many methods on Sequence may or may not be
> destructive. As such, naming methods for any extensions on Sequence is
> challenging as the names need to not imply immutability.

I don't think the names are really the worst potential cause of
confusion here.  There's also the fact that you can conform to Sequence
with a destructively-traversed “value type” that has no mutating
methods.

> It would still be possible to have Generators which operate

<Ahem> “Iterators,” please.

> destructively, but such Generators would not conform to the needs of
> Sequence. As such, the most significant impact would be the inability
> to use such Generators in a for..in loop,

Trying to evaluate this statement, it's clear we're missing lots of
detail here:

* Would you remove Sequence?
* If so, what Protocol would embody “for...in-able?”
* If not, would you remove Collection?
* What role would Iterator play?

--
Dave