[swift-evolution] Thoughts on replacing \() with $() or some other symbol

Wahlstedt Jyrki jwa at wahlstedt.fi
Wed Jun 22 00:05:42 CDT 2016

> On 22.6.2016, at 1.10, Daniel Resnick via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>
> I also disagree for the same reasons that Gwynne and Brent mentioned: I find '\(...)' easy to read, fine to type, and consistent with other string escaping syntax.

+1

I’m using Finnish keyboard, for \ the key combination is opt-shift-7, then () are shift-8 and shift-9, so very easy. Actually, using @ (opt-2) or $ (opt-4) would be harder, because one would have to switch hands, using opt with right hand and then using left hand for shift for () or opt-shift for {}.
The code is written once, but read maybe thousands of times, so readability is immensely more important.

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/ <http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/> Twitter: @jyrkiw
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
!