[swift-evolution] Thoughts on replacing \() with $() or some other symbol

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 17:26:14 CDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Daniel Resnick via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> I also disagree for the same reasons that Gwynne and Brent mentioned: I
> find '\(...)' easy to read, fine to type, and consistent with other string
> escaping syntax.

Those are persuasive arguments. Consistency with other string escaping
syntax is a huge plus. Moreover, now that I think about it, \r or \n isn't
really a bother to type. The \( combination takes a little getting used to,
but it's not absurdly terrible. I suppose we could consider \{} or even \[]
instead of \() to alleviate the reach.