[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0102: Remove <at> noreturn attribute and introduce an empty NoReturn type

Anton Zhilin antonyzhilin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 14:33:13 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1, but I prefer Never (or other "generic" names), because that allows to
use this standard empty type for other purposes, such as Optional<Never>,
Either<T, Never>, throws Never.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
change to Swift?

I think yes. The proposal suggests a nice syntactic enhancement,
seamlessly integrating noreturn functions into the type system.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of
Swift?

Unified and minimalistic way of doing things - I think yes.

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
feature, how do you feel that this proposal
> compares to those?

It is equivalent to Void type in Haskell, or Nothing in Scala.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
reading, or an in-depth study?

Between a quick reading and an in-depth study.