[swift-evolution] An implicit return for guard

Yarden Eitan yarneo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 22:04:25 CDT 2016

I agree that by having different implicit ending statements (i.e.
break/return/etc.) based on context makes it more complicated and less
intuitive. Having said that, I do think that an implicit ‘return’
with/without a warning (rather than an error), gives people the opportunity
to either exclude or include the ‘return’ statement if they wish. This give
the developers the optionality to choose what is the better code design
based on their personal preference (like one liner ‘if’s with or without
brackets). I do think that if there is a warning, it should also have the
option to be suppressed.

If you think the ‘return’ statement has to be stated, then why don’t we
enforce a ‘return’ statement at the end of void functions? ‘guard’ should
be treated and recognized in a way that ‘return’ is obvious, like void
function endings. I agree that because it is a new thing, it might take
time for people to see it as obviously as that.

Looking at the previous requests for this, it seems like it is a pain point
for several developers who see it redundant as most of their “guard”s use
the same “return” or “return nil” statement.

I think this current solution gives both ends the needed flexibility.

Yarden