[swift-evolution] Prohibit invisible characters in identifier names

João Pinheiro joao at joaopinheiro.org
Mon Jun 20 14:17:38 CDT 2016

Nice feature in the IBM Swift Sandbox. Xcode doesn't display zero-width spaces either so the identifier names look exactly the same.

The issue with left-to-right and right-to-left markers is interesting and has previously been exploited in email phishing attacks.

It would be possible to highlight invisible characters in Xcode as a stopgap measure, but that doesn't solve the problem for developers using other editors or in other platforms. I think it would be a better idea to sanitise the set of allowed (or prohibited) characters for identifiers at the language level.

Sincerely,
João Pinheiro