[swift-evolution] [Discussion] A Problem With SE-0025?

Charles Srstka cocoadev at charlessoft.com
Thu Jun 16 02:44:21 CDT 2016

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 11:16 PM, Robert Widmann <devteam.codafi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Charles we've diverged from the actual issue at hand to nitpick my English.  Read the code (that std::min tho!).  We have a problem here and no obvious solution that doesn't involve special-casing parts of this proposal.  Do you have a solution or shall we take this offline?  I can provide you my iMessage information in a person email if you wish to discuss this with me or any other members of the team, but the list is not the most productive place for this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~Robert Widmann

I am not sure why you think I am nitpicking your English (unless if you are possibly referring to the post where I corrected my own typo, but that was my English, not yours). What I am trying to express is that I do not believe there is an issue with the syntax as proposed. If there is no access modifier on a declaration, there is no reason that that declaration should be less visible than its container, except in the case that the container’s visibility is greater than the default level of internal—i.e. it is public.

Furthermore, I do not see the need for an access modifier that says to give something the same visibility as its parent, since for all access levels other than public (and of course, for public APIs, you want to declare those explicitly anyway), you get that already by default, so an access modifier seems somewhat redundant.

Charles