[swift-evolution] [Discussion] A Problem With SE-0025?

Robert Widmann devteam.codafi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 02:35:57 CDT 2016

~Robert Widmann

2016/06/16 0:29、Jonathan Hull <jhull at gbis.com> のメッセージ:

> They happen to be the same at the top level, but they are very different when dealing with nested types…
>
> A private member is visible inside it’s containing scope.  For the top-level, that is the file.  For a nested type, that is the outer type.

A wonderful idea, but not in the proposal.  In fact, the singular example given therein runs directly counter to this idea by explicitly showing the scoping behavior of a private member.

> You may, for instance have an outer type which is marked Internal or public, but an inner type which is marked fileprivate so that extensions in the file can use the inner type.  That is different than marking the inner type private, which would only allow access inside the outer type, but not in extensions.

That is defined behavior.  The inner private type's members are, however, still private and cannot escalate their access beyond that.

> Again, I want to point out that the behavior I described in my earlier message is the only plausible/usable behavior because we have no other way to specify that a member should have the same visibility as it’s enclosing scope… which is a common and important use-case.  Doing it your way, as you point out in your original message, leads to the problem of having no way to instantiate types marked private.

Then we should amend the proposal posthaste!

> This was all thoroughly discussed during the proposal process, with lots of people talking about the fact that private & fileprivate are the same at the top level… and the response was that, yes, this is by design.  In most cases you can continue to just use the shorter private, and you only need to bring in fileprivate for nested types.  Fileprivate is one of those things that you REALLY need when you need it though, which is why it was included.

Good to know I'm not the only one with reservations.