[swift-evolution] Nil coalescing operator precedence

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 10:48:23 CDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Sean Heber via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> > On Jun 15, 2016, at 7:21 AM, Vladimir.S via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> >
> > I believe we should not take into account any IDE features when
> discussing the *language*. One will write Swift script code in vim on
> linux, other will read in web browser on github etc.
>
> Unrelated to anything else in this discussion, I just wanted to respond to
> this and say that I’m totally opposed to this line of thinking. If we
> continue to design languages that must accommodate the lowest common
> denominator in terms of tooling, we’ll never advance anything in meaningful
> ways. Tooling is super important and it is mostly terrible. It could be so
> much better.

I believe the core team has pointed out in the past that in fact decisions
here *should* acknowledge the existence of the whole ecosystem of tools.

> We don’t have much (any?) influence over Xcode via swift-evolution,

Actually, IIUC, anything in the Swift open source project is fair game
here, and SourceKit (which supports IDE features for Swift) is indeed part
of the open source project.