[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Retiring `where` from for-in loops

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Tue Jun 14 12:16:50 CDT 2016

I’m a bit late to this conversation, and I don’t totally understand the goal.

There are a *lot* of things you can do in for…in loop with pattern matching that also would supposedly go against this interpretation of approachability. Pattern matching in general might be considered to go against this interpretation.

Is this pitch saying statements such as:

	for i in 1..<100 where i%2 == 1 {…}

should be disallowed, while statements like

	for case let view? in views { … }

are still approachable enough to warrant being supported in the language?

FWIW, I wouldn’t support removing where based on current arguments without either the keyword “where" being eliminated completely from the language, and/or adding equivalent intuitive functionality to Sequence with same-class performance, e.g. a .where(...) equivalent to .lazy.filter(…).

I’ve known about and used the feature since it was first added to Swift (learned via the language book), and don’t fully understand the confusion that some developers may have - especially since ‘while’ is already a keyword and could have been used if that was the actual semantics.

-DW