[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Renaming sizeof, sizeofValue, strideof, strideofValue

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Fri Jun 3 07:08:35 CDT 2016

> This might be silly, but what if there were a struct with all of the relevant fields (not sure what the best name would be):
>
> struct MemoryLayout {
>  let size: Int
>  let alignment: Int
>  let stride: Int
> // etc
> }
>
> Then you’d only maybe need two functions:
>
> memoryLayout(of:) and memoryLayout(ofType:)

Could the `memoryLayout` functions just return `(size: Int, alignment: Int, spacing: Int)` tuples? It's hard to tell because it goes into Builtin land, but I get the impression that these values are calculated at compile time anyway, and if you only used one of them the optimizer could throw the others away.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies