[swift-evolution] Proposal: 'T(literal)' should construct T using the appropriate literal protocol if possible

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 00:28:09 CDT 2016

 > Like I said, the standard library and compiler conspire to make sure
that easy cases like this are caught at compile time, but that would not
help non-standard types that conform to IntegerLiteralConvertible.

 > Also, even for standard types, the syntax only works statically if the
literal fits in the range of Int, which may not be a superset of the
desired type.  For example, UInt64(0x10000000000) would not work on a
32-bit platform.  It is diagnosed statically, however.

I believe I understand the problem you described, but I really can't figure
out how this problem can produce a unexpected behavior and run-time errors,
as was stated in your initial message. So, this is why I was asking for any
code that can prove this. The example with UInt64(0x10000000000) on 32bit
systems will raise error at _compilation_ time. Could someone provide any
code to illustrate the possible problems at run-time? I understand that we
need to fix this somehow in any case.

For others, who not really understand the issue(probably I'm not the one, I
hope ;-) ) : If we'd have Int128 type, we can't create an instance of it in
this form:
let x = Int128(92233720368547758070)
(92233720368547758070 == Int.max * 10)
as '92233720368547758070' literal will be treated always as of Int type.

In more general description, the difference between UIntN(xxx) and yyy as
UIntN is that xxx will be treated as Int(so it can't be greater than
Int.max for example) then this Int will be sent to UIntN(:Int) initializer
and then we have UIntN as a result of call to initializer; yyy will be
treated as UIntN literal just by its definition, no calling to any
initializer, yyy can be of any value allowed for UIntN.

But again, could someone help with examples when this can produce problems
at run-time?