[swift-evolution] Working with enums by name

Leonardo Pessoa me at lmpessoa.com
Thu Jun 2 21:53:18 CDT 2016

Patrick, I never said the order of the enum was intrinsic. If the offset of the case were the truth of the enum as you said enums would be ordinal types and you could do tests like "Planet.Mercury > Planet.Venus" without any extra code. But enums are nominal types not ordinal types so you can only distinguish the different values but they have no particular order or any other property. Two simple examples of nominal types are colours and cardinal points. Do they have any particular order? That's how enums are implemented in Swift (as a nominal type) and that's another reason why working with case names makes even more sense.