[swift-evolution] Proposal: 'T(literal)' should construct T using the appropriate literal protocol if possible

Tony Allevato allevato at google.com
Thu Jun 2 16:57:17 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 2:38 PM Vladimir.S <svabox at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is wrong with your examples?
>
> var x1: Int32 = 0
> var x2 = Int32(0)
> print(x1.dynamicType, x2.dynamicType) // Int32 Int32

I was referring to the subtle distinction between creating an Int32 from a
literal (the first one) and creating an Int from a literal and then
coercing it to Int32 (the second one). So, I was pondering whether this was
the cause of some complex expressions I've had problems with in the past.
However, looking at the specific code, it looks like I had the *opposite*
problem.

This expression is evaluated quickly in Swift 2.2:

let value = Int64((0x1b << 0) | (0x28 << 7) | (0x79 << 14) | (0x42 << 21) |
(0x3b << 28) |
      (0x56 << 35) | (0x00 << 42) | (0x05 << 49) | (0x26 << 56) | (0x01 <<
63))

This one errors out with "expression was too complex to be solved in
reasonable time":