[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Renaming sizeof, sizeofValue, strideof, strideofValue

Tony Allevato allevato at google.com
Thu Jun 2 16:35:46 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 2:25 PM Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, on its own sizeof() is not unsafe, and so the argument
> that it should be longer to call attention to itself (by analogy with
> UnsafePointer) isn't quite apt.
>
> And I'm not sure we really want to encourage anyone else to be defining a
> global function named size(of:) anyway, so I wouldn't consider vacating
> that name for end-user purposes to be a meaningful positive.

I was thinking more of situations where someone is in a scope (such as a
method in a struct or class) that has its own size(of:) method but also
needs to do something with the global size(of:) and now has to distinguish
the two. I'll admit that the likelihood of all of those stars aligning is
probably rare, though.

That being said, I see no reason to choose a very general name over one
that is far more descriptive. We should optimize for the N times an
expression is read instead of the one time it's written.