[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Renaming sizeof, sizeofValue, strideof, strideofValue

Tony Allevato allevato at google.com
Thu Jun 2 16:14:55 CDT 2016

Given that these are fairly low-level values with very specialized uses, I
definitely agree that they should be somehow namespaced in a way that
doesn't cause us to make very common words unusable for our users.

Even size(of:) seems more general to me than I'd like. I'd like to see the
word "memory" as part of the name somehow, whether it's a wrapping type or
a function prefix of some sort. These values are specialized; we don't need
to optimize typing them, IMO.