[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Renaming sizeof, sizeofValue, strideof, strideofValue

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 10:38:45 CDT 2016

Well, as I understand it, it's not actually possible to write your own
type(of:), so we're going from a "magic" property to a "magic" function at
least for now.

I'm most alarmed that one implication of the MemoryLayout proposal is loss
of the `ofValue` family of functions. These functions don't fit with the
design: imagine, what is `MemoryLayout<Double>.size(ofValue: Float(42))`?
But the response seems to be that these functions don't seem necessary at
all and should be removed. "I don't see a use for it" is an insufficient
justification for a feature removal. Looking to other languages, C# has
sizeof as a static property but tellingly offers the equivalent of
sizeofValue (well, strideofValue) as a function in a different module.
Essentially every other C-family language that exposes pointers to the user
offers both of and ofValue equivalents. The question is, how does a user
with existing code using sizeofValue() migrate to Swift 3? I do not see a
viable answer with the MemoryLayout design.