[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0099: Restructuring Condition Clauses

Brandon Knope bknope at me.com
Tue May 31 15:50:59 CDT 2016

Except I disagree.

It might seem like a stylistic flourish, but it can be more expressive in informing the reader that the variable after the where clause was recently introduced somewhere in the preceding clause.

Without it, you'd have to scan the entire conditional clause and around the conditional statement to find a variable.

let x = 5

.... 6 lines later ....

let y = y where y == 10, x == 5

having the where here makes it clear that x was introduced elsewhere. You might not have known that because x was introduced several lines up.

It's contrived, but imagine a very long conditional or guard statement and I think where still has a place especially in aiding readability.