[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0099: Restructuring Condition Clauses

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue May 31 15:03:41 CDT 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Brandon Knope <bknope at me.com> wrote:

> Except "b" is the main focus of the where clause and b was just in the
> preceding if condition.
>
> I feel like we are trying to find ways to break the current where clause
> even though we've enjoyed it for almost a year now. I had no idea it was
> problematic and restrictive. I thought it made its intent very
> clear...leading to very readable code.
>
> Pretty soon almost every construct but conditionals will be allowed to
> have where clauses, and THAT seems inconsistent to me.
>
> ...what exactly is the current problem? Can someone show me a real world
> example?? I've already forgotten it in all of this discussion -_-

The origin of the problem is a simple question: how does one test for
something unrelated to the variable that's bound in an `if let` statement?
The answer is: in today's Swift, any such test after the first `let` must
come after `where`. This is problematic and restrictive because one is
forced to imply a semantic relationship that doesn't exist.