[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0099: Restructuring Condition Clauses

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Tue May 31 14:00:57 CDT 2016

> On May 31, 2016, at 12:52 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
> These lines of reasoning are what have compelled me to conclude that `where` might not be salvageable.

To which, I'd add: `where` suggests there's a subordinate and semantic relationship between the primary condition and the clause. There's no way as far as I know this to enforce it in the grammar and the proposal allows both clauses to be stated even without the connecting word. You could make a vague argument, I suppose, for renaming `where` to `when` but all in all, even killing `where` we benefit with better expressive capabilities and a simpler grammar.

-- E